If you have found a pet please follow these steps:
- Ensure that the animal is safe to approach, always keep your safety in mind first.
- Check for any identification, collar, tag or tattoo. If you find a town tag, phone the Town Office. If you find a Rabies tag, phone the veterinary clinic that is stamped on the tag. If you find a tattoo, phone your local veterinary clinic so they can contact the veterinary clinic that administered the tattoo.
- Go around to your neighbors to ensure it is not their dog.
- Check the LOST add in the newspaper or on the RVC website or our Facebook page (having a picture is always favorable) and listen to your local radio station for an add of the lost pet.
- File a found animal report on Petlynx. , you can also print found posters here.
- Bring the pet into your local veterinary clinic to have the animal scanned for a microchip.
- Turn the pet over to the proper control authorities. They are the first place the owner will look to find their lost pet. They will hold they animal for the appropriate amount of time (72 hours) and then adopt it out.